As we begin a New Year, I'm not big on making resolutions, per se. However, I do love a fresh start and setting goals! As I reflected on this past year and planning the next, there was one thing that I knew I wanted to do this upcoming year - spend more time at His feet. The Bible account of Mary and Martha is one I can relate to all too well.
I am Queen Martha. I THRIVE on planning and doing. If I was completely honest, I often plan and do so much that I, just like Martha, miss the good part!
But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." Luke 10:42This year my goal is to remember what is truly needful and then choose the good part! Spend more time at His feet and less time being anxious and overwhelmed.
Sounds great in theory but what does sitting at His feet actually look like today? Well, I started digging into God's word a few weeks ago to find out and ending up creating a Bible Study for our GMG group and thought I'd share it with y'all! It's 8 weeks long and uses my favorite method of studying, the SOAP method.
We will spend the first week studying out Mary and Martha. Then we will spend the next 6 weeks looking at the most important areas of our lives: Our relationship with Christ, Church, Family, Friends/Community, our Home, and our Health. Then we will end with a reflection week, applying what we've learned and seeing what sitting at His feet actually looks like in our lives today!
You have two options with the study. You can print out the first page and use it along with a notebook to SOAP; or you can print out all the pages and stick them in a binder for a complete journal (approximately 86 pages) to use.
Each week contains the following:
- Bible Memory Verse
- One Thing is Needful section - The first 10 minutes of your 10 spent at His feet focusing on a specific area of your life. Seeking his will, encouragement, direction, and peace for your life!
- Choosing the Good Part - This is where we are intentional and apply it to our daily lives.
- Five days of scripture, along with SOAP pages if you choose to use them.
- A blog post to go along with each week to keep us accountable (OK-mainly to keep me accountable).
If you'd like to join us for this study, here's what you need to do:
- Just comment below with your e-mail and I'll send you the file containing the Reading plan and SOAP journal.
- One you receive the email, print out your choice of either the one page Quick Sheet and grab a notebook to write out your SOAPS; or go ahead and print out all the pages to write out your SOAPS. Just depends on how much ink and paper you want to use! I love to print mine out and put in a three ring binder.
- Grab an accountability partner. I LOVE my GMG group. We check in with each other everyday on FB. Sometimes it's a long post sharing what God has revealed, other times it's "Good Morning girls, I read the scripture today!" So whether you want to send a text, email, call or do it via Facebook find a friend(s) to hold you accountable! If you don't have anyone else, then feel free to check in here each week at my blog. I'd love to hear from you!