Thursday, August 18, 2011

God First


My First Priority:  God
This is my favorite verse in the Bible.  "But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you."  (Matt. 6:33)  Put God first and everything else will fall into place!  In order to live simply God must be first.   Believe me when He’s not life is much more complicated! 
I was blessed to grow up in a Christian home where God was first.    There was NEVER any question where we were going to be on Sunday morning.  I remember getting frustrated because I didn’t understand why we couldn’t get in an extra day on our family vacation.   Either we didn’t leave until Monday morning  or we were home Saturday night so that come Sunday we were in God’s house.   My parents never actually came out and told me that God was more important than our family vacation yet their actions more than showed it!  As much as I love my husband and my daughter, God still comes first.   The Bible even tells us that if we love our family more than Him we are not worthy of Him.  (Matt. 10:37)  After all if it wasn’t for Him I wouldn’t even have them! 
I was saved when I was seven years old at a small country church.  God became not just my parents' God but my God too! Eight months later I joined the church and was baptized.  It’s where my membership still is today and the most precious place on earth to me!  I haven’t always made the right choices since then but I’m thankful for God’s grace and forgiveness. 
 It is a constant battle for me to put God first.  I often find myself like the seeds that are spoken of in Mark-letting so many worldly things IN that God gets choked OUT:
I often find myself having to simplify and get rid of some of the things in my life so that my priorities are right and I can do what I was created to do: worship and serve God!
And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, and the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.  (Mark 4:18-19)
One other example I love to read about is Mary and Martha.  (Luke 10:38-42)  Jesus came to their home to visit.  The Bible says Martha was “cumbered about with serving.”  I can just picture her running around doing all of her “busy work”: cleaning the house, preparing food, worrying that everything was just right.   We’ve all been there!  Mary, on the other hand, was sitting at Jesus feet.   Martha asked ”Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone?  Bid her therefore that she help me.”  I love Jesus’ response: “Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things.  But one thing is needful; and Martha hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”   One thing is needful in our lives and that’s to be attentive to Jesus.   Everything else passes away and will be taken from us.
How I Plan on Living it Out:
                To me putting God first is much more than just going to church and giving a tithe.  It’s waking up in the morning and wanting to get out of bed so I can spend my first hour of the day with Him before all the chaos begins!  I’m so thankful that I have my Good Morning Girls group to hold me accountable for my morning quiet times.  
                If you don’t already start your morning off with God, then I challenge you to try it for a week and see if it’s not life-changing!   Set your alarm 30 minutes earlier and get out your Bible!  Start in the morning and read about Mary and Martha.  Then have a prayer time and just “sit at his feet” for awhile!  I’ve found since I’ve started putting God first in my day,  life has become simpler J
What is your first priority and how do you put it first in your day?
               

No comments:

Post a Comment