Friday, September 2, 2011

Home Fourth, Health Fifth

“She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.”
~ Proverbs 31:27
    
         We built our house a little over a year ago.  Like everyone else that starts to build, we looked through EVERY magazine and every book there was.  We looked at house plans until they all started looking just alike!  We each had things that we knew we wanted.  My two things were yellow siding and a huge porch.   I LOVE houses with porches and have many fond memories of being on porches (maybe a blog entry in itself one day).  To me nothing says welcome like a house with a big porch!   Everyone said it was a waste of space and we wouldn't use it - but the swing on the porch is my favorite place to be!

I was looking through one particular magazine and saw a house much like what I wanted and the ad said something to the effect of “build a house worth coming home to.”  I showed it to Curt (my husband) and said that’s what I want to do - I wanted us to build a house that when we pulled up it screamed “Welcome!” and we were relieved to be home!  So we did!  I LOVE our house (and the fact that it's built in the middle of a cow pasture) and must admit there’s not many things I’d change.   
Of course with a house, comes the dreaded part of cleaning!  Last April I stumbled across an e-book that completely changed my views on cleaning:  31 Days to Clean:  Having a Martha House the Mary Way.   I started it as a way to get some Spring Cleaning accomplished and got way more than I bargained for and a wonderfully clean house!  I realized how important my role was in keeping and fostering a warm, inviting home not just a house.  The first thing Sara Mae asks you to do is to create a mission statement.  As a teacher, I always had my class create a mission statement at the beginning of the year.  For some reason it never occurred to me to do it for my job as a homemaker.  Here’s my mission statement:

My mission is to create and foster an environment that puts God first.  I want to strive to make our home our “happy place!”  Not only to us but so that others will find it welcoming.  I want to “look” for ways to encourage and make a better life for my husband, daughter, and all those around me.
In case you’re curious, they’ve actually just started another session of 31 Days over at Homemaker’s Challenge.  Today’s just the second day so check it out! 
                Now onto my last priority:  Health.  I've learned that when I eat healthier and exercise I feel SO much better!  Not to mention, I've also realized that now is the time to teach my daughter healthy eating habits.  Which brings me to another book that I highly recommend: Reshaping It All by Candace Cameron.   It's not a fad diet but a change in life-style.  It's also full of great scripture and recipes!  I love her emphasis on self-discipline that can be applied to every aspect of your life!  I read the book awhile back and still have a long way before I implement it all but I'm working on it!

How I Plan On Living Them Out:

1.        Home – I have adopted and modified Courtney from Women Living Well’s cleaning schedule:
a.       Monday – Wash
b.      Tuesday – Toilets and Tubs (Bathroom)
c.       Wednesday – Whatever Needs to Be Done -Catch-up/Get Ahead J
d.      Thursday – Dust
e.      Friday – Floors

               I've found this schedule works with me because it's simple and it's almost impossible for me to clean the house in one day with an almost 2 year old so an hour a day is manageable!  I usually clean early in the morning (from about 8:00-9:00).  I’ve found that cleaning is the easiest thing for me to procrastinate on so it’s best I just do it early!  Plus it gives me a sense of accomplishment for the rest of the day!

2.        Health - I'm trying to incorporate more fruits and vegetables in our daily eating.  Also, trying new things that maybe we didn't eat before.  Exercise is something that is almost non-existent with me these days but I'm going to get better starting Monday!  My goal is at least 3 times a week. 


 I've finished my priorites and why they are important to me so I hope next week to start more of the "journaling" phase and share more details on how I'm living my simple life!!  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I need to start the 31 Days to Clean. I did it before we moved, well sort of! It's hard to believe we have only lived in our new house for a couple of months and it's already an un-organized mess! I feel better when things are in order, so this is something I need to work on. I like your cleaning schedule too. I get stressed when I try to do it all in one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing 31 Days To Clean too! I've been REALLY lazy about things .... not just around the house, but physically as well. He's helping me turn it alllllll around though, praise God!

    I came around here when you put up your ... hmm ... 2nd post, I think? Christin had tweeted about it and I dropped by to check it out. Have been LOVING your blog and I very much look forward to future posts! Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well ladies I have a confession to make . . . I'm not actually doing 31 Days to Clean right now. I've done it in the past and certainly hope to do it again BUT just have too many other things going on right now! Part of me wanted to start it again but it just didn't fit into my "simple" life - at least not right now. Thanks for your comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won Reshaping It All! I can't wait to get it and get into it. Good cleaning plan. I'm still working on mine.

    ReplyDelete