Friday, December 2, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Christmas Foods

   
  What is it about Christmas that makes you want to stay in the kitchen? There’s nothing like baking at Christmas.  Here are a few of my favorite things …

        I mentioned Christmas Eve at my grandmother’s house in an earlier blog.   She always had ham on the table.  We all ate at different times.  Some would come in and just have a ham sandwich and others would make a whole meal out of it – ham, potato salad, baked beans, whatever else was there.   She’d have regular baked ham and then she had ham with her special glaze which was actually just brown sugar and mustard and it was AWESOME!  I still love to bake ham, especially around Christmas, take it out of the oven mix up some mustard and brown sugar, brush it on top, then bake it just a little more.   Delicious!  My Mom also still makes it on Christmas Eve.

        You can’t have Christmas without decorating some sugar cookies. Here’s my favorite recipe which to me is almost like a combination between a sugar cookie and tea cake.


Sugar Cookies

1 cup margarine softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
3 ½ cups flour
1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon almond

Cream butter.  Add sugar and beat until fluffy.  Add egg and flavorings.  Mix together flour, soda, and baking powder.  Add to creamed mixture.  Chill dough for 1 hour.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.  Top with melted almond bark and sprinkles!

"Miss Priss" enjoying some sugar cookies last year.

One of my favorite recipes to take to Christmas parties or to give as gifts is "White Trash."  SUPER easy to make!

White Trash

2 cups each -              Gold Graham Cereal
                                        Pretzels
                                        Cheerios
                                        M & Ms
                                        Raisins
                                        Honey Roasted Peanuts

Melt 1 whole block of almond bark.  Pour over all ingredients and then spread on wax paper.  Then break apart when hardened.  It only involves the microwave and stirring so it's kid-friendly too!  Yummy!!


There’s also a couple new recipes I have on my list to try out from Add a Pinch.  Such as Snow Cookies and Cookie Dough Dip Recipe.   For even more great recipes and other Christmas ideas check out the 12 Ways of Christmas! 

This wraps up my week of Christmas!  I must say I admire anyone who blogs everyday!  I’m ready to go back to my once or twice a week!  I’d love to read about any of your CHRISTmas ideas- ways of including Christ, ideas on Advent, gifts, decorating, recipes, anything!  Please leave a comment or you can send me pics via e-mail at aatkinson5680@gmail.com.  I’d love to share your ideas on here too!

No comments:

Post a Comment