Monday, February 6, 2012

I'm Drinking From My Saucer







"I'm drinking from my saucer cause my cup has overflowed." 
-John McCay








I have been very blessed and my saucer has truly overflowed with some very special ladies from our church.  This weekend we had an opportunity to show a  little gratitude to some of them that have meant so much in my life.  They have been such an inspiration and strength to me, many from the time I was just a little girl until now.  My Mom, sister, and I had talked a couple months ago about doing something special around Valentine's Day for these ladies.  My great-grandparents came from England and my grandmother was raised on hot tea.  She always had hot tea with her meals.  For quite awhile, Mom had been buying tea cups, saucers, teapots, etc. at yard sales and thrift stores with plans on having a tea party with her family.  Then we decided since she already had most of the stuff why not host a tea party for the ladies at church.

This was the first thing just the three of us have ever hosted and we had such a good time just planning it all-going to thrift stores to find a few more teacups, discussing place settings, decorations, the menu, and what we were going to wear!  We had a blast and created some wonderful memories together!



My sister, Mom, and Me all wearing something special that was my grandmother's



Mom having a trial run before everyone arrived :)



For decorations we used a lot of pink tulle, pearls, roses, and a few angels. Nearly everything we used we either already had or found at a thrift or antique store.  A lot of it (like the candle holders) didn't even necessarily match but Mom cleaned them up and then sprayed them with a light pink spray paint so that they did! 

A picture of one table


It was an afternoon tea so we just kept our menu simple: cake squares and tea cakes (by Mandy Makes Cakes), chicken salad sandwiches (The Cupboard), strawberries, grapes, chocolate candy, tea (English breakfast, peppermint, peach, blueberry, wild berry) and water. 




Here's one picture of some of the ladies...almost a table full of past and present Sunday School teachers and pastors' wives. 




We had a wonderful, relaxing time!  It was the perfect way to celebrate Valentine's Day with some special ladies whom we dearly love!  I actually enjoyed drinking hot tea more than I thought I would and think I may do it a little more often!



Linked to:




No comments:

Post a Comment