Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Christmas With Friends: Get-Togethers and Gifts

“If we think of our heart rather than our purse, as the reservoir of our giving, we shall find it full all the time!” David Dunn
              

               Get-togethers and gifts are what I get most stressed out about.  I’m not sure why I get so caught up in it.  I should just enjoy spending time with friends and not stress about the gifts because the perfect one has already been given!  However, for me that’s much easier said than done!
                As far as I know the only get-together we are hosting at our home this year is some friends of “Miss Priss” are coming over to decorate cookies.  It’s only going to be a couple other girls –very low key so I’m excited about it! I’m sure before the season is over we’ll have at least a couple more small get-togethers.  Here are a few tips I’ve learned when hosting a party:
1.        Keep it simple- the food, entertainment, games, everything!  Especially when you have a big group – simpler is better!
2.       Don’t stress so much about a clean house.  Sure you want it to be presentable but I can promise when everyone leaves you’ll HAVE to clean again. 
3.       Let your guests help.  If they offer to bring something then let them! I usually prepare the main food/course; however, if someone offers to bring a dessert, side or finger food I’m great with that!  First of all, it’s less I have to prepare.  Secondly, when I go to someone’s house I always feel better bringing something. It’s a win-win situation.
         Now to gifts …I’ve really re-thought my gift-giving this year. I heard someone say the other day that when considering a present for someone think about what’s important to that person and give a gift based on that.  I actually am buying very few presents and the ones I am buying are not that expensive and mostly for “Miss Priss”.  This year I’m more excited about giving small gifts  to those who may least expect it: some cookies and a Coke left in the mailbox or some bread delivered to a neighbor I rarely visit.  Here are some of my gift-giving ideas this year:

1.        Homemade Gifts:
a.       Sewn/Embroidered:  We have a sewing and embroidery machine so several of our gifts will be made using those. Some of the kids on our list will be getting shirts/outfits.  Adults will be receiving personalized towels, pillows, etc. 


b.      Even if you don’t have a sewing machine you can still make something similar.  Just cut out a pattern from scrap fabric and attach with heat and bond.  Then you can embelish with hand stitching, buttons, ribbon, whatever you like!  Very easy J

c.      Take whatever you enjoy doing, think of the person you are giving to and create based on that!  For more homemade gift ideas check out The Happy Housewife’s 100 Days to Homemade Gifts. All kinds of ideas! 

2.       Gifts That Keep on Giving:

a.       Gifts to support a charity or organization:  One thing I am planning on giving this year (possibly to myself) is a necklace from Amazima Ministries.  If you read my blog, you know I’ve been reading Kisses from Katie.   Katie has organized a group of women to make these beaded necklaces.  The proceeds go directly to these families living in extreme poverty.  There are several other worthy organizations out there or you could even give a donation to a charity in someone’s honor.



b.      Encourage-Mint jars: I’ve given these as gifts in the past to nursing homes and passed them out to homes as we have gone caroling.  You simply decorate a jar, fill it up with mints and then fold up pieces of paper with scriptures, quotes, and words of encouragement.


3.       Gifts of Food:  I’ve given several gifts of food but my 3 favorites to give are:

a.       Amish Friendship Bread:  I’ll be giving some of these to family this year perhaps in a bread basket or with a personalized kitchen towel.



b.      Caramel Corn:  I love going to the dollar stores and buying those cute Christmas tins and boxes and filling them with caramel corn and giving as gifts. Here’s my aunt’s recipe that I use:
2 sticks margarine
1 box dark brown sugar
½ cup light Karo syrup
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 quarts of popcorn

        Melt butter.  Stir in syrup, sugar and salt.  Bring to a boil.  Stir and cook 3-5minutes.  Remove from heat.  Stir in soda and vanilla.  Pour all over popcorn and mix well.  Put in 2 large pans.  Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 12 minutes. Cool completely then break apart.  Store in an airtight container.

I’ve also personally tasted the caramel corn by Abby at Trusting in Him and it is awesome!!
c.       Homemade Jellies/Jams:  These also are a favorite of mine to give.  Perhaps two or three in a small gift basket.  My personal favorites are apple butter, seedless blackberry and peach.

d.      Another great food gift for someone that loves to cook is to purchase a cookbook and then make them something in the cookbook to give together as the gift.

4.       Photo Gifts:   To me these are the perfect gifts for grandparents that already have everything!

a.       Photo Calendars for the upcoming year full of family pics.
b.      Photo books from events that have happened the past year.
c.       Coasters - order or make some homemade ones
While you are finding/creating all those wonderful gifts don't forget the most important one on the list:  Jesus!  What will you be getting Him this year? 

What can I give him,

Poor as I am?

If I were a shepherd,

I would bring a lamb;

If I were a wise man,

I would do my part;

Yet what I can I give him—

Give my heart.


           Christina G. Rossetti 
    

     Nothing materialistic we can give.  He simply wants us - our hearts, our time, and our service.  Any gifts that you especially like to give?






No comments:

Post a Comment