Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Restored, Renewed and Revived




“That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;  And that ye be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.”  Ephesians 4:21-24


Re·viv·al [noun]– the act of restoring life

I mentioned in the previous post that Revival season is upon us in our church association.   I love Spring Revival because it’s so easy to look around us and see things being brought back to life, especially this year as it have been unseasonably warm in our area.  We can already see daffodils,  Bradford pears, and even some Dogwoods starting to bloom.  Life is coming back all around us!


It reminds me of our spiritual lives.  Ideally, we’d all love to be constantly fruitful – blooming with God’s love, peace, and joy all the time. But unfortunately we’re human and just like nature, we go through seasons in our spiritual life. 


When we are first saved, God takes out our stony heart and gives us a new one. (Eze.36:26) Our sins along with the person we used to be our buried and we become a new person.  Unfortunately, being this new person doesn’t just come naturally (or at least it doesn’t for me) from that point on.   



2 Corinthians 4:16 says “For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish yet the inward man is renewed day by day.”

Each day I must die out to sin and be renewed by Christ. 


If you look around at the trees during the winter-they’re dead and not much to look at. However, then comes spring, those warmer days when they’re getting the light and the sources of food they need. Then they start to bloom again. Even in our deadest days when we are far from our Light- God is still there.  Even though on the outside we may look and even feel dead and useless- God still has hope for us!  He still has a purpose for our lives! As long as we turn back to Him and get what we need spiritually then He’ll revive us. 

As I study these scriptures this week and prepare for Revival my desire is to truly be restored, renewed and revived:

Restored

“Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.”  Psalm 51:12

Sometimes I need to go back to where it all started.   Remember when you were first saved?   I do!  I remember the joy that came from being made new.  I remember rising from the altar and feeling total peace and contentment.  I remember feeling free from sin.   That joy didn’t just end the next day.  It’s still with me, even though at times I must ask God to restore it.  

Renewed
 
“Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.”  Psalm 51:10. 

Sometimes we have to ask God to clean us up!  We must again lay aside the “old man” and His sinful ways.  ANYTHING that is coming between us and God must be cast to the side!  Things have been revealed to me even this week as I’ve studied and prayed for God to show me anything in my life that is a hindrance.  When we put aside these things and clean up our heart, then the right spirit will be renewed!  He can give us an even clearer purpose and desire to do His work!    

Revived  

“For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.”  Isaiah 57:15
 I love that the first part of this verse tells how big and powerful God dwelling in high and holy places.  Yet the end says that when we become humble and sincerely remorseful then He’s right there with us too!  And why is He there?   Because He’s ready and willing to revive us!  When we truly become humble and willing then He is ready give us back life.

 That’s my desire to be on “fire” for Him and about his business!  I want once again to be renewed in the spirit and put on the “new man:!


Linked up to:






No comments:

Post a Comment