Sunday, September 2, 2012

God First: Day 2 Challenge-Pray!


My personal prayer spot


Day 2 Challenge:  Pray

Day 2 Scripture:  1 Thessalonians 5:17  “Pray without ceasing”;




James 5:16 "Confess your faults one ot another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed.  The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

When I first started brainstorming and drafting these challenges I actually had “Pray” as a Day 6 Challenge.  Then when I got to writing Day 6 the Lord quickly showed me prayer needed to be moved up! I hope you prayed before you even started this challenge.  I feel quiet sure you prayed for strength before you drug yourself out of bed yesterday morning.  And I hope you will continue to pray everyday BEFORE you get into God’s word. 

The Bible is SO much more than just a book to be read.  It’s the only book meant to be read with the author present when you read it.  So before opening my Bible each morning I ask God to join me and show me what I need to get me through the day.  I ask Him just to fill me up spiritually for whatever I’m going to face because even though I don’t know what it may be – He does.

There’s SO much I could say about praying.  So many different directions I started in when I started writing this post but for the purpose of this challenge and starting off your day I decided on two things I wanted to share that I've learned about prayer. 

First of all, prayer is a conversation with God – It’s not my to-do list for God.  It’s a conversation between me and Him.  To have a conversation with someone involves both speaking AND listening.  So many times I wonder why God hasn’t answered my prayers then I realize that I haven’t been listening for His answers.

Secondly, it’s SO important to have your own prayer spot close by.  Mine is an oak tree in our back yard. Before our house was built, we lived in Louisiana. When I came home from Louisiana I'd usually take time to walk or ride the 4-wheeler over to where I wanted to build our home and pray under this tree that if it be God's will we'd come home and build a house here. The prayer was answered (praise God!) and we built the house and I started looking for a prayer spot. I really wanted a rock further from home but couldn't seemed to find one. One day I was walking with my ipod listening to a Beth Moore study and she asked "Where is YOUR prayer spot?". This was a difficult time right after I'd quit my job and I felt God drawing me back to my oak tree. I knelt down and prayed turning it all over to him. When I opened my eyes I saw an acorn and I realized that if God could take that acorn and make that HUGE oak tree he could take what little faith I had and accomplish great things. I picked up that acorn and it's still in my kitchen window as a reminder of how great my God is!  



I decided then that was my prayer spot and it was a good thing it was right at my back door!    

Anyone else have a special prayer place?

No comments:

Post a Comment